[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg naming and logo

Rich Felker dalias
Thu Feb 16 05:25:58 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:16:25PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:55:50PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>what about creating a new logo instead the old one?
> >

> >i had that idea too a long time ago, but my attempt with gimp looked
> >horrible, and the thought that the ffmpeg logo would be created with
> >non-free photoshop wasnt very comfortable,
>
> Why? You have probably eaten a non-free lunch and are sitting on a
> non-free chair...

Apparently you fail to understand the meaning of free. I would suspect
that Michael can freely immitate the food he made for lunch, cooking
something similar or almost identical for his friends or himself or
anyone he pleases. As for his chair, other people can sit on it if he
wants to let them; he can disassemble it and study how it's put
together and use that knowledge in order to build a new chair, etc.

Use of and dependence on non-free software is not acceptable, and it's
utterly hypocritical to design your logo in a nonfree data format with
nonfree software. Don't try to warp the issue with nonsense analogies
that don't hold water.

Rich