[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg naming and logo

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Thu Feb 16 10:47:07 CET 2006

Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:16:25PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>
>>Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi

>>>i had that idea too a long time ago, but my attempt with gimp looked
>>>horrible, and the thought that the ffmpeg logo would be created with
>>>non-free photoshop wasnt very comfortable,
>>
>>Why? You have probably eaten a non-free lunch and are sitting on a
>>non-free chair...
>

> Apparently you fail to understand the meaning of free. I would suspect
> that Michael can freely immitate the food he made for lunch, cooking
> something similar or almost identical for his friends or himself or
> anyone he pleases. As for his chair, other people can sit on it if he
> wants to let them; he can disassemble it and study how it's put
> together and use that knowledge in order to build a new chair, etc.
>
> Use of and dependence on non-free software is not acceptable, and it's
> utterly hypocritical to design your logo in a nonfree data format with
> nonfree software. Don't try to warp the issue with nonsense analogies
> that don't hold water.

Fortunately I seem to have developped some immunity to your typically
harsh style, ...

I suppose you dont use a mobile phone because the embedded and network
software arent opensource? Ditto your car? That you arrange for your
internet traffic to go only through routers running Linux? No online
banking, no credit card,... BTW why do you bother with ffmpeg since its
not GPL, which by your rules is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil?

The rules for the dev of ffmpeg (or of any opensource software I know
of!) do not put any restrictions on the tools one uses, a non-free
editor or IDE or movie-analyzer is supposed to be OK, as long as the
*final* code is not thereby subject to restrictions. By the same rules,
using Photoshop would not 'taint' the logo. What *is* to be avoided is
the reliance on any copyrighted artwork (like brushes or patterns or
textures coming with the software under insufficient or obscure
licensing terms).

> Rich
Mich

--