[Ffmpeg-devel] Which video codec for embedded use (iPods etc) ?

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat Feb 11 21:20:53 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi

>> > mpeg1 in avi or other simple container (not mpeg-ps)
>>
>> Why not mpeg-ps?  It's as simple as anything to demux, and is a
>> standard format.
>
> with AVI you have some buffer which contains part of the file, simply
> check the frame size, if you have enough pass a pointer to the decoder,
> if not read more
>
> with MPEG-PS you need to do the same but additionally you need to
> go over all the data and ensure that you have a complete slice before
> you can decode it, or is there some trick iam not aware of?

It depends on the decoder.  Most decoders, including lavc, will decode
the bitstream as it is passed in, and signal when a complete
slice/frame has been decoded.  Does lavc send MPEG data through the
frame parser, even when the codec doesn't require it?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com