[Ffmpeg-devel] Which video codec for embedded use (iPods etc) ?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 11 21:09:42 CET 2006

Hi

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 07:48:15PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> >> I'm looking for advice as to which video codec has the greatest chance
> >> of performing well in such an environment.  i.e. one which gives a
> >> reasonable compression ratio, but is "easy" to decode?
> >
> > mpeg1 in avi or other simple container (not mpeg-ps)
>
> Why not mpeg-ps?  It's as simple as anything to demux, and is a
> standard format.

with AVI you have some buffer which contains part of the file, simply
check the frame size, if you have enough pass a pointer to the decoder,
if not read more

with MPEG-PS you need to do the same but additionally you need to
go over all the data and ensure that you have a complete slice before
you can decode it, or is there some trick iam not aware of?

MPEG-PS is also much more tricky to generate, its trickier to store
non-mpeg video/audio in it, it has more space overhead ...

Michael