[Ffmpeg-devel] reply-to headers and the mailinglist

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat May 7 11:58:01 CEST 2005

Erik Slagter <erik at slagter.name> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 18:20 +0200, Fran?ois Revol wrote:
>
>> > Setting relpy-to to the list addrss only makes it difficult to reply
>> > off-list, if that's what you actually want to do.
>>
>> But it's not what I usually want to do.
>>
>> If I want to do that I just "Reply to Sender" which does the correct
>> thing.
>
> Exactly. The default action for a mailing list is to reply to all, not
> an individual, otherwise I could hardly call it a mailing list.

There is no such thing as a default action.  The users has several
commands to choose from, and they do different things.  The normal
thing to do when replying to a list posting, is to use the "reply to
all" function, which does the right thing, independently of any
reply-to header.

> Also using the definition of the url
> (http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html) means that about half
> of the mailers is broken. Reminds me of a dutch proverb: "The whole is
> mad, said the lunatic."
>
> I am not going to switch to another mailer to be more correct according
> to some people.

Are you saying Evolution doesn't have a  "reply to all" function?  I
would consider that broken, ideed.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com