[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: FFMPEG on Windows

Marcus Engene ffmpeg
Wed Aug 31 10:14:50 CEST 2005

Martin Boehme wrote:

>> MinGW32?
>
> If it is the former are you experiencing a performance increase over
>
> Compiling FFmpeg itself under MSVC would be a huge porting fest, and
> unless you wanted to take a big performance _hit_, you'd have to
> convert large chunks of inline assembler from AT&T syntax to Intel
> syntax...
>
> Martin

Couldn't the asm things be wrapped in macros? How do other multi
platform projects deal with this?

I agree that MS isn't really run by mother Theresa, but Visual Studio
beats the hell out of any other ide I've worked with. And yes, I tried
the marvels of programming with emacs/gcc and I didn't like it. gdb or
ddd are beaten by the VS debugger hands down, imho. Most incompatible
(C99?) examples I've seen VS fail with on this list are irrelevant
cosmetics (apart from lack of inttypes.h), as far as I could tell. imho
again ;-)

Best regards,
Marcus