[DVDnav-discuss] New release planned? Yes!

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:08:28 CET 2013

On 11/6/13, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> On 05 Nov, Timothy Gu wrote :

>> also

>> > I might.
>> > So far, no plans.
>>
>> So it's ff/lav all over again? What about MPlayer? Do distros wanting to
>
> No it's not. I don't plan to break anything.
> I might deprecate some things, like I did with libdvdcss 1.3.0.
> I compile MPlayer, xine, handbrake and VLC regularly enough to not break
> things.
>
> I just plan to have a correctly managed project to fix the numerous
> segfaults and issues and have a correctly copyrighted project (aka not
> SVN).
>
>> The only way out of this would be adding API/ABI compatibility, but as I
>> see there is an 80% chance that there are not enough people to maintain
>> that. Thus the ultimate solution would be the abandonment of this project
>> in favor of yours.
>
> Sorry, but that's not my problem anymore.
> I've complained enough about the old repo.
>
> You are very welcome to get commit access to our repo. (The dvdread one
> is done, the dvdnav is under history-rewrite).

Just throwing out a thought here..
My thought had been to request that jb be given commit rights to the
mainline subversion (if he doesn't have it already?), so he can fix
the segfaults there, and the two branches can possibly merge back into
one.  I trust him enough, even to add deprecations :)
Plus that would increase the number of active maintainers by 1...it's
extremely frustrating to see patches like [1] not be merged.
Or if it were moved to github would that encourage you [jb] to not
branch?  I fear the branch might cause confusion here among
developers...

-roger-

[1] http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/dvdnav-discuss/2013-July/001938.html