[DVDnav-discuss] Possible violation of GPL licence

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 17:58:18 CET 2009

Hi

Not really a developmental thing - but here are some strongly oriented
GPL believers - it might be interesting to know that there is a binary
in the commercial world which has no source codes available (at least
I've not been able to find them and tried hard) -

So what is the problem :) - recently a lot of various companies in
various countries started to sell nice boxes (basically same hardware,
just different case and set of connectors), that are able to play
DVB-T and files from hard drives - check for names like Ellion, Movie
Cube and dozen others (see http://rtd1261.wikidot.com)

Box usually runs  busy-box - but the main application 'DvdPlayer'  is
obviously closed source and full of nasty bugs - looks like there is
so far no communication for the box producer -
and where is the catch :)

Binary contains these strings:

libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:findDVDFile %s failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:dvdinput_open %s failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFilePath:dvd_file malloc failed
libdvdread: Can't stat() %s.
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_%02i_0.VOB
VTS_%02i_%i.VOB
libdvdread:DVDOpenNewVOBPath: reopen %s failed
VR_AUDIO.VRO
libdvdread: Invalid domain for file open.
/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
/VIDEO_TS/VTS_%02i_0.IFO
/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
/VIDEO_TS/VTS_%02i_0.BUP
/VIDEO_RM/VIDEO_RM.IFO
/VIDEO_RM/VIDEO_RM.BUP
/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_RM.DAT
VR_MANGR.IFO
VR_MANGR.BUP
VR_MOVIE.VRO
VR_STILL.VRO
/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
/VIDEO_TS/VTS_%02i_0.VOB
/VR_MANGR.IFO
/VR_MANGR.BUP
/VR_MOVIE.VRO
/VR_STILL.VRO
/VR_AUDIO.VRO
libdvdnav:DVDCreateFile:dvd_file malloc failed
libdvdread: Can't seek to block %lld
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 0

So is here anyone who  takes care about these things - I guess mplayer
team had always a set of people who likes to win these fights :)
I'm not the author of the code - so I guess I've no rights to start
this  battle :)

I've tried to contact the producer of my device - but no response so
far - but I guess it could be a lot of fun :)

So any thoughts ?

Zdenek