[BoW] r6 - in trunk: audio_coding/audio_coding.tex basic_glossary.tex introduction/introduction.tex

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Oct 15 21:05:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:42:52 -0300
"Ramiro Polla" <ramiro.polla at gmail.com> wrote:

> How will we introduce a new acronym like DPCM?
> I suggest the first time it appears, it is written in its extended
> form, then followed by the acronym in parentheses. Subsequent uses
> should/could use only the acronym. Even though the glossary has the
> extended form, it would be nice to have it at least once (preferably
> the first time) extended in the text as well. This is what some books
> to introduce a new concept. If you see something "extended (acronym)"
> you know it's being introduced right there. If you see only the
> acronym and have no idea what it is, you should flip a few pages back
> or go to the glossary.

Yes, this style is good. Feel free to edit the files in the repo
to your liking.

BTW: IMHO when we have such an acronym, then the glossary
should reference to the place it has been introduced, so that
you can look up what it really means if you cannot make sense
of the description in the glossary.

Alternatively, we could write the glossary always with an
explanation of each term.

					Attila Kinali

--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to