[MPlayer-users] Brightness and contrast setting ineffectual

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Feb 12 22:25:34 CET 2003

Katheryne E. Draven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mplayer (to date) is the only DVD player I have been able to get to work
> on Linux RedHat 8.0 so for that I thank you.
>
> My only problem is that I cannot (GUI controls on KDE 3x) set the
> brightness and contrast. The image is too dark.
> Nothing I do to reset the image works.
>
> Is there something I can do to correct this.
>
> Please Note: I'm  a complete newbie to Linux. While I have completely
> abandoned M$ cold turkey, I still have  a great deal to learn. So please
> be as clear and step by step as possible.
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Kate Draven

You're probably using x11 video output. This is the most compatible
format (for playing within X), but doesn't offer the hardware 2D
acceleration that most video cards are capable of. A better video output
driver is xv. Try setting xv in your GUI video preferences, or just try
$ gmplayer -vo xv -dvd 1

-Corey