[rtmpdump] Memory error on downloading an rtmpe video

David Sainty dave at dtsp.co.nz
Mon Mar 23 06:42:41 CET 2015

On 18/03/15 23:55, Andronidis Anastasios wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thank you very much for your reply, I tried it and I get an error again:
>
> RTMPDump 2.4
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> Connecting ...
> rtmpdump(8961,0x7fff7f20c310) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f9351cd71c8: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Abort trap: 6
>
> Do you run it under linux? Or Mac OS X?

This is clearly a diagnostic catch for an unallocated memory access bug
in rtmpdump.  So, it's a real bug - possibly a serious one.  But it will
only be picked up by libraries that are capable of detecting such bugs.

Because most memory management libraries do less checks than yours,
you're in the privileged position of seeing the crash :) Congratulations!

Unfortunately, finding such a bug is pretty difficult and/or requires
the use of run time debugging tools.