[rtmpdump] Streaming from rtvslo.si with rtmpdump results in malformed files

bartmon bartmon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:15:23 CET 2013

Hello!

First of all I would like to thank all contributors to this project as it
has on many an occasion saved me from the hell of using Adobes's Flash
client.

I'm experiencing issues dumping streams from rtvslo.si. Judging from
verbose output [1] I believe there are constant buffer underruns, some
messages between server and client about pausing and then resumption of
streaming. It, however, does not continue from where the underrun happened,
but resumes from a percentage that is a bit lower. Due to constant errors
some streams never dump completely and those that do are full of errors
because all received data, even restreamed is dumped to file. This way
files are full of missing keyframes and repeated fragments.

Here's the command I used for a file that completes (about 300MB):
rtmpdump -V -r "rtmp://stream.rtvslo.si/simplevideostreaming" -a
"simplevideostreaming" -f "LNX 11,2,202,261" -W "
http://tvslo.si/media_jwplayer_5.7.swf" -p "http://tvslo.si" -y
"mp4:17/20/Infodromx201301071737x700000x351x413x.mp4" -o
Infodrom_20130107.flv

[1] Output is way too long to post here (0.5MB) or pastebins. Please
download a compressed version from
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1277626/rtmpdump2.4-issue_rtvslo.si.log.zip or
http://takra.tk/files/rtmpdump2.4-issue_rtvslo.si.log.zip

A longer stream I tried to dump was constantly retrying at 89% and the file
grew to several GB before i terminated the process.

I'm reporting this issue here so that someone with more knowledge of RTMP
and rtmpdump's source can try and fix this. Please also feel free to nudge
me in the appropriate direction and I'll try to analyse the issue when time
permits.