[rtmpdump] RTMPDump failing to record stream from GeorgiaTech Server

Sagar Savla i at sagz.in
Wed May 23 00:02:30 CEST 2012

Hello,

Test video:
http://www.gatech.edu/commencement/student-reflection-speaker-jarret-lafleur-speech
(other test videos:
http://www.gatech.edu/commencement/past-commencement-highlights)

The media server: Wowza

Problem: I used the following command to rip the video-
rtmpdump -r
http://wow.media.gatech.edu:1935/vod/_definst_/public/buzzbox/gatech.edu/comm/S2012_LaFleurA.mp4-o
S2012_LaFleurA.mp4
The file is downloaded. But the size is ~350MB. And the video does not play
properly. I uploaded the same file to Youtube (I know they convert, but
still) and you can see the difference at 2 minutes past. [
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUj1p_-5iDU]

The file is obviously unusable. I resorted to a commercial alternative to
test... Replay Media Catcher [v4.3]
It downloaded the file, it's a more realistic ~25Mb, and plays properly (in
VLC)

What is the problem? and how to work around it?

Regards,
Sagar K. Savla