[rtmpdump] Is RTMP_Write a blocking function?

Sreekanth Annapureddy sreekanthav at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 01:23:05 CEST 2012

Dear All,

I am using librtmp library to stream live video to a media server.
Sometimes, RTMP_Write is taking a long time (up to 100-500ms) to return,
causing a very low frame rate. After looking into the code, I realized that
RTMP_Write calls send function in Windows Socket library which can be in
blocking mode. I expected RTMP_Write to return immediately after copying
the data into a local buffer, which is sent out at a rate supported by the
network. However, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I would really appreciate if someone can answer the following question:
"Does librtmp has an in-built write buffer? If so, how do we enable it? If
not, are we expected to implement a local buffer outside the librtmp
library?"

Thanks,
Sreekanth