[rtmpdump] What to look for to solve a "handshake failed"?

rtmpdump at pepak.net rtmpdump at pepak.net
Sat Dec 17 17:10:34 CET 2011

Hi!

I am trying to download a stream from a provider which recently
switched to a new Flash player (the older version worked just fine
with RTMPDUMP). Using WireShark I managed to find all? required
parameters, and debugging the player I managed to find the secure
token. But I am still getting a "handshake failed". Could it mean an
unsupported (I am using the latest GIT version of RTMPDUMP)
authentication scheme or is there some other expected reason? And if
it *is* an unsupported authentication scheme, does it make sense for
me to try to decipher it from the player's code? (The player is
apparently a version of JWPlayer, but either stripped to the bones or
very old, because the SWF is very short and it seems to contain very
few scripts, so I think I stand a good chance of finding the scheme,
if it can be done from client-side; the only problem is that I have no
idea how to add it to RTMPDUMP even if I find it.)

If anyone wants to give it a try, the command-line I am using is:

rtmpdump
  -z
  -v
  -r "rtmpt://ctv-flv1.content.mediastream.cz/CTv-video"
  -y "mp4:vypravej/history/139.mp4"
  -f "WIN 10,3,183,11"
  -s "http://img8.ceskatelevize.cz/libraries/JWPlayer/player.swf"
  -W "http://img8.ceskatelevize.cz/libraries/JWPlayer/player.swf"
  -t "rtmpt://ctv-flv1.content.mediastream.cz/CTv-video"
  -p "http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10266819072-vypravej/ve-stopach-doby/1975/v-moste-byl-kvuli-dolovani-presunut-dekansky-kostel-nanebevzeti-panny-marie/"
  -T "5%qp-xvbt+_oi"
  -o "x.mp4"

And I get the following result:

RTMPDump v2.4
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
DEBUG: Parsing...
DEBUG: Parsed protocol: 1
DEBUG: Parsed host    : ctv-flv1.content.mediastream.cz
DEBUG: Parsed app     : CTv-video
DEBUG: Protocol : RTMPT
DEBUG: Hostname : ctv-flv1.content.mediastream.cz
DEBUG: Port     : 80
DEBUG: Playpath : mp4:vypravej/history/139.mp4
DEBUG: tcUrl    : rtmpt://ctv-flv1.content.mediastream.cz/CTv-video
DEBUG: swfUrl   : http://img8.ceskatelevize.cz/libraries/JWPlayer/player.swf
DEBUG: pageUrl  : http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10266819072-vypravej/ve-stopach-doby/1975/v-moste-byl-kvuli-dolovani-presunut-dekansky-kostel-nanebevzeti-panny-marie/
DEBUG: app      : CTv-video
DEBUG: flashVer : WIN 10,3,183,11
DEBUG: live     : no
DEBUG: timeout  : 30 sec
DEBUG: SWFSHA256:
DEBUG: 00 b9 3c 04 ba dd 2f 40 05 74 be 1b cb 7f c5 cd
DEBUG: 1b ed 8c f9 1c ae 54 be f4 bd 07 a3 48 29 6c f4
DEBUG: SWFSize  : 105686
DEBUG: Setting buffer time to: 36000000ms
Connecting ...
DEBUG: RTMP_Connect1, ... connected, handshaking
DEBUG: HandShake: Client type: 03
DEBUG: HandShake: Client digest offset: 53
DEBUG: HandShake: Initial client digest:
DEBUG: 5f 45 64 8c f0 16 f8 a6 23 99 f0 e9 d8 6e 8d 61
DEBUG: 10 d7 bf 45 0a 70 60 f1 f3 20 b4 46 de e2 44 e1
ERROR: RTMP_Connect1, handshake failed.
DEBUG: Closing connection.

I am not certain whether this means the handshake failed after the
application of the secure token or before it.

The packet capture of the webbrowser playing the beginning of the
movie is here:
http://tmp.pepak.net/ct.zip
(the interesting packets, at least interesting to my eyes, are 1062
and 1078)

Thanks for any tips as to where to look.

Pepak