[rtmpdump] Need help with rtmpdump url parser

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Thu Dec 15 05:33:47 CET 2011

Steven Penny wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
>> Heuristics are fine, for the human user to apply. The code's job is only to
>> faithfully transmit what you specify. If you want to play trial and error,
>> do it yourself.
>>
>> If you think you're so smart, prove it, write working code that actually
>> handles every case.
>
> I certainly dont, and I certainly cant at this point.
>
> My aim with this thread was to provide some discussion between you,
> the users and myself on this longstanding issue. Verily it has been
> shown that an experimental parser would be outside the scope of this
> project.

Note that the rtmpdump(1) manpage explicitly states that the parser will not
always succeed. It is a feature of the RTMP protocol, and a documented feature
of the software. It has always been documented as such in the rtmpdump manpage.

Next time you want to open a discussion, find an actual issue (i.e., a
genuinely unexpected behavior) to discuss. If it's already documented, it's
not open for discussion.