[rtmpdump] FFmpeg with librtmp crashes when executed from a Windows service

Petr Nejedly p.nejedly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 20:59:44 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I have the following
problem. My Java app executes FFmpeg  with linked librtmp (as an external
command) like this:

ffmpeg.exe -i "rtmp://xxxxxx"

to retrieve information about a stream. While this works perfectly as a
standalone command, it fails (FFmpeg crashes) if the Java app runs as a
Windows service under Local System Account user. This is the Windows error
log:

Faulting application name: ffmpeg.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
0x4e1f6fc9
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp:
0x4a5bda6f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000143f9
Faulting process id: 0x1f28
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc5b3fc2d942c4
Faulting application path: d:\ffmpeg.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: 008b5ba2-c733-11e0-b15f-001d09292815

It works well again if the Service runs under an actual user.

As this only happens when retrieving rtmp feed information I assume the same
problem would appear with rtmpdump. Is this a bug or is this an expected
behaviour?

Thanks, Petr