[rtmpdump] [Solved] Re: On audio-only RTMP streams...

PLTK pnixte at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:49:02 CET 2010

On 3/8/10, Howard Chu <hyc at highlandsun.com> wrote:
> PLTK wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Currently, rtmpdump does not "get along" with audio-only RTMP streams.
>> I have searched the archives and found out a previous discussion on
>> this issue according to which determining the correct format (audio or
>> video) of the stream is not trivial and cannot be done in advance
>> automagically by the program itself.
>>
>> The thing I want to ask is:
>> If the user "knows" that the RTMP stream is audio-only could he use a
>> command-line switch so that the stream can be recorded by rtmpdump and
>> played?
>> Is something like that a "do-able" programming task so that can be
>> included in RTMP?
>
> What problem are you having? rtmpdump works fine with audio-only streams,

I stand (rather shamefully) corrected.

No matter that a connection to the server can be made successfully and
the server
responds as if the client is legit, there can be some cases (as in mine) where
the SWF verification has to be clearly enforced for the stream to be recorded.
However, there are cases where the SWF verification (although asked by the
server) can be rendered optional (more or less).

Thanks, Howard. This case is closed.

Just one last question on this matter.

> when they're being output to a seekable file (as opposed to stdout). It seeks
> back to rewrite the FLV header before it closes the file.

Why stdout is such a problem with audio-only files?