[NUT-devel] [nut]: r644 - docs/nut.txt

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Feb 29 22:37:23 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 02:09:12PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:58:48PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hmm, is more than one copy of the same key valid?
> >
> > yes
> >
> > > And how is that
> > > meant to be interpreted?
> >
> > In the form that they all apply. "9 is a stream with translated lyrics"
>
> I meant more broadly than just disposition.
>
> > > I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea but I
> > > don't think it's well-specified at this point and I'd like to consider
> > > all the implications...
> >
> > Well its intuitively meaningfull ...
> > multiple authors
>
> Yes, but probably in all other containers it's a single Author key
> with a value such as "Michael Niedermayer, Rich Felker, ..."
>
> This could also apply to disposition, but potentially makes using it
> harder for applications since they need to parse a sort of string list
> rather than just matching exact strings.

There are also problems with info packet repeation if there are several
author tags. (add to list vs. repeated packet / already in the list)

> On the other hand, multiple values for the same key likely does not
> fit well with an expected API of being able to query a key and get a
> value as the result.

I dont see how this could work, not with nor without multiple keys.
Just an example:

starttime= 10
end= 50
author= Michael Niedermayer

starttime= 50
end= 90
author= Rich Felker

> > multiple titles
>
> Do we need meta-metainfo, i.e. language tags on the titles? :(
> Perhaps keys named Title-xxx where xxx is a language code?

and title disposition (original, translated) :)

And dont forget that Description, keywords, author and probably others
need language as well.

And after you added language to title, you will find out that there are
several countries which use english but they use different titles for the
same dvd.

We at least need title-lang-country :)

What about:
A tag can contain a -LLL / -LLL-CC language and country postfix to indicate
the language and country, the first tag should contain the default/original
if multiple language variants of a tag are stored.

[...]

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato