[NUT-devel] Frame/Field problem

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 20 05:23:14 CET 2008

Hi

When we designed the pts->dts reorder algorithm we considered arbitrary
frame reorderings, but there was something we missed, that are mixes of
frame and field pictures, like:

    i1 p2 P3 p4 P5 p7 P8   (lower case is a field, upper is a frame)
PTS 2  3  4  6  7  9  10
DTS 0  1  2  4  5  7  8

As you can see no reordering of PTS can result in the DTS values.

The reason why this fails is (if my brain still works at 5:30am) that frame
pictures contain 2 fields and thus would have to be counted like 2
besides that they would really need 2 pts.

I suspect some solution based on dummy 0byte packets with the missing pts
after each frame might solve this, but i must think more about this ...

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire