[NUT-devel] [nut]: r615 - docs/nut4cc.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 20 01:07:06 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:37:18PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> I strongly belive we should design a system with a minimum set of
> restrictions. That is never add a restriction unless there is a proofen need
> adding restrictions based on hatred (even if we unanimously hate it) of
> specific things does not belong in nut IMO.

I don't think it's based on hate but on the fact that there's little
practical possibility of implementing all the random things in part 2,
whereas there's a well-defined profile of what actually is in use, and
it's beneficial to players to know whether the stream will be playable
by real-world decoders.

As a concrete example, suppose some player has both lavc and some
academic-toy reference implementation covering all of part 2
available. It would be helpful to know that it can play ordinary asp
streams with lavc (with full-framerate decoding) as opposed to using
the 0.1 fps toy-decoder for the experimental academic streams made by
whoever implemented all those features.

If you're still strongly opposed to making MP4V==ASP, I'll drop it,
but I think there are valid reasons to consider specifying a profile.
I'd be happy to also specify an "everything goes" part-2 fourcc if you
like and it doesn't have to be "SHIT". =)

Rich