[NUT-devel] [nut]: r615 - docs/nut4cc.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 19 19:50:13 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 06:54:06PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Besides that i vote for the new fourcc to be "SHIT" if we end up doing
> > > a 4cc split :)
> > >
> > > Anyway, iam slightly leaning toward just leaving all in one 4cc. Because i
> > > just dont see any practical gain from the split, its just work, and work
> > > for which i dont vounteer ...
> >
> > Can't we just say MP4V means MPEG-4 ASP? Or are there real features in
> > use that are outside the domain of ASP?
>
> 64k will always be enough for everyone

That doesn't answer the question. Does ASP correspond directly to the
currently implemented/used stuff, or not? If it does, I think we
should make MP4V==ASP

And I really don't see people going back and implementing features of
an old standard that were essentially deemed mistakes by the userbase.
If people eventually decide to try face/mesh/etc. crap in video
compression, they'll do it with a newer more efficient bitstream
format, not piggybacking it onto mpeg-4 asp implementations. And if
I'm wrong, the SHIT fourcc is still available it seems... :-)

Rich