[NUT-devel] [nut]: r613 - docs/nutissues.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 13 19:20:52 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:46:09PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> I think the pb is that the best interpretation (ie. absolute in real
> world units or relative) depend on how the sound was mastered.
>
> If you take todays movies and albums you probably want a relative
> interpretation, so that most speakers just get the unadultered sound.
>
> On the other hand if someone is doing a recording which is supposed to
> be heard on a well defined setup, and one want to get the closest
> possible experience to what was intended, real world units are needed.
> But I suspect even more is needed for a really good simulation. The
> echo characteritic of the room, temperature, wind, etc
>
> So perhaps we should just have relative coordinate for now, and add a
> note that we are open to add a standard info packet for "listening
> environement simulation" if ppl from this field are intersted.

One other idea: what about storing the numerator values always, and:
- if denominator is 0, the numerators are just relative values
- if denominator is nonzero, the values are in physical units (being
  american, i vote for yards! =P)

> > I dont think its too usefull for 2 ch, a default of (-1,0,0) (1,0,0)
> > would be easy for the muxer to store. And similar for 1 ch ...
> > But if a muxer has to store 5ch audio, figuring out the channel
> > placement could be trickier. Iam not saying iam against it, actually
> > maybe it is the correct thing to do, and having this optional would
> > just lead to it being missing most of the time ...
>
> I agree, making it mendatory is the best option. But them we should
> perhaps define some defaults for typical configurations.

Yes, that'd be nice. Also it would be nice if the reference demuxer
could "downgrade" the position information to standard 'dumb' channel
naming for callers (left, right, front, left-rear, right-rear,
whatever).

Rich