[NUT-devel] [nut]: r613 - docs/nutissues.txt

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 13 13:46:14 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:32:56PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> > Iam not saying that there is any need or sense to store this nor that i would
> > know what a decoder would do with that information, but i do know
> > copper purity counters will prefer NUT over other formats if the distance
> > is stored.
>
> Well I would like to see some mathematical/physical reason that it's
> potentially useful rather than the opinions of people who pay for
> solid-gold *digital* audio cables to give their sound "more body"...

Id say liquid he cooled superconductive cables are better (for digital of
course).

Anyway, technical reason:
If the player knows the reference locations and actual locations it can
adjust the delays to avoid unwanted interference. And no i dont know how
well it would work in practice.
Though with extreem cases like 1km difference it could correct the resulting
A/V desync at least.

> > > Otherwise I don't see
> > > anything wrong.
> >
> > good, what about the flag to skip the stuff = unknown pos? Do we want one
> > if not what should be muxer store if it doesnt know the pos?
>
> I suspect skipping pos should not be legal for >2 channels..
> For 2 channels or fewer, making it optional would be nice.

I dont think its too usefull for 2 ch, a default of (-1,0,0) (1,0,0)
would be easy for the muxer to store. And similar for 1 ch ...
But if a muxer has to store 5ch audio, figuring out the channel placement
could be trickier. Iam not saying iam against it, actually maybe it is
the correct thing to do, and having this optional would just lead to it
being missing most of the time ...

[...]

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates