[NUT-devel] [nut]: r613 - docs/nutissues.txt

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 13 04:48:42 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:46:12PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:42:12AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Yes but the extra variable doesnt hurt that much, so heres a patch with
> > it.
> >
> > Comments? rich?
> > I can also add a flag for the case that positions arent known, so this is
> > skiped.
> > We can also place this stuff in an info packet but as its essential for
> > playback of at least some codecs, raw being one, and usefull for others
> > which do not allow precisse positions to be stored it seems the stream
> > headers might be better. Also info packets would have a much higher
> > overhead to store this.
>
> I'm against the useless physical units and denominator. Just the
> ratios of the positions to one another matter; the whole thing is
> scale-invariant for all practical purposes.

Well, it is not scale-invariant, yeah the world sucks ...
The speed of sound is not infinite and more distant speakers will have
their signal hit the listener later. That causes a phase shift and could
change a 2*sin() to 0*sin().

So a system of a speaker at 1m and one at 2m will would sound different from
one with a speaker at 1km and 2km (with the volume turned up sufficiently)

Iam not saying that there is any need or sense to store this nor that i would
know what a decoder would do with that information, but i do know
copper purity counters will prefer NUT over other formats if the distance
is stored.

> Otherwise I don't see
> anything wrong.

good, what about the flag to skip the stuff = unknown pos? Do we want one
if not what should be muxer store if it doesnt know the pos?

[...]

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.