[NUT-devel] [nut]: r613 - docs/nutissues.txt

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Tue Feb 12 23:20:37 CET 2008

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

>> > The above was intended to specify the location of the speakers not
>> > microphones.
>>
>> I'm having a hard time imagining a player moving my speakers around
>> depending on the file being played.
>>
>> > And spherical coordinates would just drop the distance, thats the same
>> > as setting the distance to 1 and storing that as xyz.
>>
>> Spherical coordinates without radius needs only two fields.
>
> True, but that gets tricky with integers and precission.

Use rational numbers.  That's essentially what you suggest below anyway.

>> > Actually the main reason why i didnt use spherical is that with integers
>> > theres a precission to decide on or you end up with rationals. And this
>> > somehow starts looking messy ...
>>
>> I don't see any fundamental difference.  If restricted to integer
>> coordinates, an arbitrary point can be described only with a certain
>> precision, regardless of coordinate system.
>
> True but if you map the points to a sphere, then x,y,z gives you arbitrary
> precisson on the surface of the sphere while with spherical coordinates
> this needs some additional "tricks".
> Thus x,y,z give you arbitrary directional precission at quite low complexity.

I didn't realise you were only interested in direction.  Not that I
know what you'd use the distance for, or how.

>> > of course
>> > right_position               s
>> > forward_position             s
>> > up_position                  s
>> >
>> > And
>> > "the listener is at (0,0,0), (1,0,0) is right, (0,1,0) is forward,
>> > (0,0,1) is up"
>>
>> You're forgetting the measurement unit, i.e. metres, feet, etc.
>
> Hmm, I was thinking that only x/y, x/z that is the direction would matter.
> If theres some sense in also storing distance then we would need a 4th
> variable to specifiy the precission like:
> (x/p, y/p, z/p) meter
>
> We can surely do this if someone thinks this is usefull.

I don't think it's useful, but there's no telling what people who
measure the copper purity of their speaker cables might believe.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com