[NUT-devel] NUT spec review - chapters

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 9 14:38:17 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 01:57:51PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 01:49:03PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Iam very strogly against breaking compatibility
>
> Breaking compatibility with what?

With the frozen spec. It is EXTREEMLY unprofessional to call something
frozen and then break compatibility for a dubious improvment.
One shouldnt complain about mpeg being lame while then acting even more lame.

Also as said we just move to another restricted (and more complex!) case.
Its like:
1 year ago: We know beyond doubt that X is exactly what is needed and we insist
            on having everything else disallowed by the syntax.
today     : We know beyond doubt that X2 is exactly what is needed, X wasnt
            enough and we insist on having everything else disallowed by the
            syntax.

This is not the kind of change we should do, its just repeating our past
mistake.

[...]

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.