[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 7 02:50:02 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:50:29PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 07:57:48PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:14:12PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Feel free to propose a specification for menus. I believe this was on
> > > the agenda for a long time but considered sufficiently unimportant
> > > (and at a separate layer of specification) that it could be relegated
> > > to after NUT was completely finished.
> >
> > The generic info packets would have allowed to store menus.
>
> As far as I can tell the existing info packet framework can do menus
> just fine, as long as there's a spec for menu markup. If you claim
> otherwise, please explain what the problem is and I'm interested in
> solving it. I do not intend to preclude use of menus, even though I
> think most users find it more of an annoyance than a feature.

I have no interrest to support some custom blinking and sparkling GUI menus.
What i want and what generic info packets fully supported until you decided
that this functionality does not belong in nut. But rather belongs into some
other hypothetical (=non existing) layer was for example:

Info packet 1
    Title "scene abcd"
    Start <timestamp>
    End   <timestamp>
    Stream 1,2,3,4

Info packet 5
    Title "scene defg"
    Start <timestamp>
    End   <timestamp>
    Stream 1,2,3,4

Info packet 6
    Title "scene defg without the nasty screams in the background"
    Start <timestamp>
    End   <timestamp>
    Stream 1,2,3,5

Info packet 10
    Title "Foobar with happy ending"
    Play 1
    Play 3
    Play 5

Info packet 11
    Title "Foobar with dramatic ending"
    Play 1
    Play 4
    Play 5

Info packet 12
    Title "Foobar with happy ending, the censored for conservatives edition"
    Play 1
    Play 6

Info packet 13
    Title "Main movie menu"
    Alernative  10
    Alernative  11
    Alernative  12

[...]

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates