[NUT-devel] Some sanity...

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 6 17:53:49 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 10:52:17AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 04:37:27PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > NUT's goal was never to copy MPEG but to redo things and do them
> > > correctly from the ground up.
> >
> > Yes, and i certainly would prefer if things can be done better than
> > mpeg. The problem ATM is that "things" can not be done.
>
> This is a plain falsehood. No one has demonstrated anything concrete
> that cannot be done.

Ohh yes i have. But we can start a game where i give you nut packets
and you tell me the clock drift between your and my clock.

> > > "People in the industry do it this way" is not an argument. As far as
> > > I can tell, everything done with MPEG broadcast can be done much
> > > simpler, for instance the time synchronization issue. Due to NUT's
> > > extremely strict interleaving rules, frame dts ALREADY serves as a
> > > synchronization timestamp!! There's no need for separate timestamps!
> > >
> > > Please stop the insanity! NUT IS FINISHED. If anyone claims not,
> > > please show real, demonstratable bugs, not differences from MPEG. A
> > > difference from MPEG is not a bug but a sign of good design.
> >
> > I think ive shown a few fatal deficiencies in the current design in
> > my previous mail.
>
> And I debunked them, yet again.

You have not debunked any single argument brought up in the broadcast
discussion. You just ignore what people say and repeat in different words
sketched solutions like a kid telling me i can divide by 0. Of course while
keeping the standard axioms of a field valid.

[...]

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes