[NUT-devel] Some sanity...

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 6 16:37:27 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:10:34AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> I think we need a reality check here, as NUT is a FROZEN spec. I'm not
> sure if the term frozen was ever clearly defined, but roughly speaking
> it should mean that changes should be made only in cases where they do
> not change anything for the ordinary cases (common codecs in use, e.g.
> the whole keyframes thing) or where a serious bug/mistake/limitation
> is discovered during testing.
>
> This whole broadcast issue has brought up a lot of "new requirements"
> with no legitimate argument for how they fulfill any need that NUT
> does not already meet. "Because MPEG does it" is NOT A REASON!!

I think people felt that the arguments where obvious. Anyway i think
ive stated some of the arguments now explicitly.

> Moreover, folks with MPEG broadcast experience (and who ACTUALLY LIKE
> MPEG) are not qualified to make recommendations about what's needed!

Not listening to anyone who has worked in a gived field is rarely a
good idea.

> NUT's goal was never to copy MPEG but to redo things and do them
> correctly from the ground up.

Yes, and i certainly would prefer if things can be done better than
mpeg. The problem ATM is that "things" can not be done.

> "People in the industry do it this way" is not an argument. As far as
> I can tell, everything done with MPEG broadcast can be done much
> simpler, for instance the time synchronization issue. Due to NUT's
> extremely strict interleaving rules, frame dts ALREADY serves as a
> synchronization timestamp!! There's no need for separate timestamps!
>
> Please stop the insanity! NUT IS FINISHED. If anyone claims not,
> please show real, demonstratable bugs, not differences from MPEG. A
> difference from MPEG is not a bug but a sign of good design.

I think ive shown a few fatal deficiencies in the current design in
my previous mail.

[...]

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin