[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 4 04:30:22 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:47:24PM +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:27:54PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Also it might be worth mentioning that multiple 'tracks' could be
> >> stored as chapters using info packets to label them, but if so they
> >> obviously need to be timed one after another rather than all starting
> >> at time=0.
> >
> > Different content (compared to different viewpoints/encodings) of something
> > should not overlap timewise to begin with. If thats unclear it should be
> > clarified! (I assume you are thinking of recording several radio stations
> > or something like that, IMHO that should be done to seperate files or the
> > result should be remuxed at the end)
>
> I guess this means NUT is not intended to be used in typical broadcast
> environments where each channel has far more bandwidth than a single
> program requires.  This is why MPEG-TS supports multiple independent
> programs.

There's nothing keeping you from partitioning a physical channel via a
separate protocol layer. For example, a DSL line has far more
bandwidth than needed to watch youtube, but that doesn't mean that
html, email, etc. is interleaved into the FLV container!! Rather, you
have TCP for multiplex unrelated connections over a single physical
network line. The same principle applies to broadcast channels as
well. There is no excuse for container/transport incest!!!!!

Rich