[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Feb 4 00:03:23 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:47:24PM +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:27:54PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Also it might be worth mentioning that multiple 'tracks' could be
> >> stored as chapters using info packets to label them, but if so they
> >> obviously need to be timed one after another rather than all starting
> >> at time=0.
> >
> > Different content (compared to different viewpoints/encodings) of something
> > should not overlap timewise to begin with. If thats unclear it should be
> > clarified! (I assume you are thinking of recording several radio stations
> > or something like that, IMHO that should be done to seperate files or the
> > result should be remuxed at the end)
>
> I guess this means NUT is not intended to be used in typical broadcast
> environments where each channel has far more bandwidth than a single
> program requires.  This is why MPEG-TS supports multiple independent
> programs.

You could use nut for that but a few things wont work.

Info packets arent capable to describe such mixed content very well
because theres no way to have an info packet apply to a program. You
would have to duplicate the info packet for each stream in a program.

Chapters (which would differ between programs) cant overlap timewise.

Seeking with back_ptrs is at the mercy of having frequent keyframes in
all streams. I assume this would be true for your broadcast scenario,
still its not optimal, but also not worse than mpeg-ts.

Possible changes to nut which would improve this would be.
* returning to the original info packets as i designed them, to store
  generic information. (this would fix the first 2 issues)
* multiple back_ptrs for such multi program/track files/streams
  that was suggested by rich and would allow seeking with stored
  broadcasts even if some streams had only rare keyframes.

[...]

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his
enemies for the hardest victory is over self. -- Aristotle