[NUT-devel] revisions for nut-english.txt?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 3 22:10:40 CET 2008

Hi

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:27:54PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> Also it might be worth mentioning that multiple 'tracks' could be
> stored as chapters using info packets to label them, but if so they
> obviously need to be timed one after another rather than all starting
> at time=0.

Different content (compared to different viewpoints/encodings) of something
should not overlap timewise to begin with. If thats unclear it should be
clarified! (I assume you are thinking of recording several radio stations
or something like that, IMHO that should be done to seperate files or the
result should be remuxed at the end)

It would catastrophically break seeking with back ptrs, violate the
overlapping chapters restriction for info packets. Make generic info
covering subsets of streams needed (which you insisted to be removed).
And significantly increase the bandwidth needed for reading nut files as
all but one interleaved track would be discarded.

Anyway i still belive that info packets covering subsets of streams should
be added back. If this is not done people will just invent ad hoc solutions
this is the third time now such info would be usefull.
First was that some streams simply might share info.
Second where attachments applyng to several streams.
Third is now tracks starting from 0 where a track might be a video+audio
stream of a music video for example.

[...]

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire