[NUT-devel] [nut]: r549 - src/trunk/libnut/framecode.c

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Feb 2 22:42:08 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:49:01PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > I strongly dislike this sort of change. Pointer signedness warnings
> > are idiotic and should be disabled.
>
> fixing properly and keeping in mind unsigned char != signed char != char
> would be better.

That's orthogonal to the issue at hand here. The function takes a
const char * argument but operates on arbitrary bytes. However memcmp
is probably the appropriate function to use, but it has the same
issue.

What one really needs to realize is that signed/unsigned is a property
of arithmetic operations performed on data, NOT a property of the data
itself. C made a very bad design choice in making these properties of
the types. Ignoring the difference between pointers to unsigned and
signed versions of the same type is completely valid and often useful
and it's annoying that gcc spams warnings about it.

Rich