[NUT-devel] Freeze NUT spec?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 28 18:55:31 CEST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:05:55AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:

> > > I'm leaning both ways. It's slightly more complex, but it allows for ex.
> > > mplayer to probe without having to seek back after probing (mplayer is very
> > > dumb about this...)
> >
> > Umm, reading main header startcode will work just as well for probing.
>
> Yes, but you need to rewind after that, MPlayer sucks for not always
> allowing this (non seekable streams), I'm actually not completely sure
> about all this, but I do know that if you don't do 'stream_seek' after
> probing, you will have lost the initial data you used for probing. Fine
> for native demuxers, trouble for library demuxers (libnut).

Umm, just put code that looks for the main startcode in mplayer too...
It's just as simple as the code that looks for the string..

> > Also if there are no changes (no unfreeze) then we can keep 3 after
> > final too!
>
> OK. But I suppose until nutmerge is fixed it should only use 2?

Can you just add code to disable nutmerge except for formats that
work?

BTW I suppose the fourcc issue also needs to be resolved before
freeze..

> > > seperate from freeze/finalizing...
> >
> > No it's not.
>
> OK... Start writing then.

>_<
Do you have thoughts on which way we should go with it?

> > > send a patch?
> >
> > OK..
>
> Well?

I sent an email with a sort of draft wording. Comments on it?

Rich