[NUT-devel] max pts/distance stuff

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 10 14:50:11 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:30:18PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> in the spec,
>
> there are several issues which need disscussion
> 1. no limit for max_pts_distance, users could set it to insane values and
>    cause troubble on the demuxer side, yes theres the time rescaling issue

IMO you just have to rely on file authors to pick something sane. Even
if you did pick an arbitrary value, it would still be horribly wrong
at some time scales. Consider for example a video of some micro-scale
process recorded at tens of thousands of fps with real timestamps, and
intended to be watched frame-by-frame or with -speed 0.001 or such. As
long as the spec makes it clear that implementations may have trouble
playing files with inappropriate max_pts_distance, I don't think
people will set it wrong just for a 0.001% overhead reduction or
whatever..

> 2. max_frame_size limit is too large, its practically 256k, i think 64k or
>    less is more reasonable
> 3. what about droping one varaible and max_distance=max_frame_size?

I'm totally fine with 2 and 3.

Rich