[NUT-devel] Issues

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Tue Mar 7 18:23:05 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 18:48, Rich Felker wrote:

> > yes, though i would like to keep the option to add variable info in a later
> > version of nut (so maybe say muxers MUST not change info but demuxers MUST
> > accept it and use the last info packet they stumble across)
>
> This is what I'm strongly against, since it requires a demuxer to read
> unboundedly into the future in order to conform to the spec.

I think the keyword is "stumble across".

Obviously if the muxer wants the demuxer to be able to find the packet,
it should put it at the start. It's acceptable IMO to not find it if it's in the
middle, but if it does find a new one accidentally when playing the file
normally, it should inform the playing application of it, and not silently
discard it.