[NUT-devel] CVS: main/DOCS/tech mpcf.txt,1.117,1.118

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 3 12:11:50 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:30:22AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:16:23PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > My objection to upper bound on max_distance had nothing to do with
> > size. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.
>
> and what is the terrible thing which will/could happen if there where
> an upper limit? i mean from the user or developer perspecitve (complexity,
> speed, overhead, ...)

I could just as well ask - what does the user/developer GAIN from there
being an upper bound? yes, if there is no upper bound you can make a broken
file, but you can ALWAYS make a broken/inefficient file if you are being
deliberately ignorant...

> not the idealist/philosopher perspective (its wrong,
> bad design, this is like <infamous container> does it, it will make
> <extreemly rare use case> slightly slower, ...)

To this same sentiment, I ask, what is gained from your new index system?
You never replied to my rant.. Yes you did make it optional which makes it
somewhat nicer, I am still annoyed by the index_ptr and the additional
demuxer complexity for this index system (reallocing the syncpoint cache
for each index chunk, reading several chunks...), mostly because I see
absoloutely no gain. There's a pretty damn good chance that if the index is
borked, the entire index is borked. not just a small piece of it. And the
file still plays perfectly fine without the index... ("it will make
<extreemly rare use case> slightly slower" ...)

- ods15