[NUT-devel] Patch for info packets

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 24 07:45:46 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:45:36AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 01:39:00AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:18:32PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > > New patch. One kink left to sort out is info frames. My suggestion for it
> > > is to use negative chapter id's..
> > >
> > > Can I commit this patch?
> >
> > ok
>
> committed, with one additional clause:
> +Info SHOULD be stored in global packets instead of info streams/frames if
> +possible, and the amount of data is not large.
>
> Taken from Michael's phrasing a while ago...
>
> Now, my idea for info frames - exactly the same as info packets. The pts
> for info frames is completely meaningless, it's only there to be able to
> comply to MN rule, so there can be repeated info frames, that describe the
> same "chapter", and you can see that they are the same info frame because
> they have the same chapter id, which means they must be binary identical.

I'm against it, unless you're proposing that we remove info streams
entirely.. This completely nullifies the stream-quality of info
streams. There's no guarantee that you'll have the frame by the time
it becomes relevant, or that it won't appear way before it's relevant,
etc.

Rather, I would _like_ to do like this: info frames have no
chapter_start or chapter_len because these values are implicit in
their frame pts and the next frame pts (possibly EOR). However, this
creates nasty issues for seeking without index, as back_ptr could be
huge. Maybe we should just exclude info from back_ptr..?

Certainly chapter=0 (global) should be invalid in info frames.

Rich