[NUT-devel] flags, which bit means fixed fps?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Feb 22 21:08:02 CET 2006

Hi

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:04:37AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 03:07:12PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > is interlaced it must be fixed-fps, and the player probably wants to
> >
> > well, my first thought was "yeah sure", but sadly no
> > just take a realtime stream the frame times will be
> > off a little from your ntp/atomic clock, and for cheap vhs cameras/
> > players they will be off by alot, your player must adjust the
> > refresh times of the monitor/tv to these timestamps otherwise
> > it will look less then perfect
>
> this is just a matter of syncing to the refresh as the definition of
> time units, rather than using a pc's rtc or other source. it's a
> separate issue imo.
>
> if you mean that measured physical units would be used in the file
> captured from interlaced source, imo this is a very bad idea. rather
> the timebase should be 1001/30000 (or 1/25) with exactly 1 unit
> increments per frame, and the audio should be sampled to match the
> video clock. i expect the audio and video clocks already match for
> digital devices (dv cams, hardware mpeg encoders, ..)

i was not talking about capturing somethin and storing it on disk and
then later playing it but realtime ...

you have interlaced video from a vhs recoder/camera/satelite/...
if you do not adjust the refresh times of your monitor to the
source you will either run out of video frames or need to do
unlimited buffering and accept unbound delay

this is somewhat off topic i agree but in that case you MUST adjust the
refresh times of your display to the true timestamps ...

[...]
--
Michael