[NUT-devel] Chapters

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Feb 18 12:21:38 CET 2006

Hi

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:58:53AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:38:37AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > Oded Shimon wrote:
> > > I can't decide a proper way for this... One possibility is this:
> > >
> > > Info packet 1: ChapterId=1, TrackTime=3min
> > > Info packet 2: ChapterId=1, TrackTime=4min
> > > Info packet 3: ChapterId=2, TrackTime=3min
> > >
> > > But it seems over complicated. I'd like the ability to do this somehow:
> >

> > hmm
> >
> > Info packet 1: ChapterId=1, TrackTime=3min, Title="foo",
> > ShortSynopsys="blah",... other fields and friends..
> >
> > I think this will be the usage of it.
>
> Yes, I had considered this and had already decided that there will be such
> an option, 'chapterid' describes which chapter the entire info packet
> describes. BUT, I'd like the _layout_ of the chapters to be decided
> globally in a single packet, otherwise the player will have to do a whole
> "mapping" thing to decide where chapters begin and end. Putting the start
> and length in each chapter-specific packet is worse, because it introduces
> redundancy. Might be nice for gaps though.

putting all the chapter start/end info in a single packet makes the whole
very fragile, if that packet is lost all chapte info is lost so iam
against it

[...]
> > > Another note: I'd like to disallow info streams in non live streams.. For
> > > any purpose, info packets and chapters can be used. (It should at least be
> > > a "SHOULD"...)
> > >

> > use COULD.
>
> No, SHOULD. "Info streams SHOULD NOT be used in non-live streams."
> COULD only means ability. They can be used anywhere, but they should only
> be used in this situation. BTW, the only keywords defined in NUT spec are
> SHOULD and MUST. :)

iam strongly against that, either we need info streams or non global info
packets, i dont care which but i wont accept the "neither case"

[...]

--
Michael