[MPlayer-users] yasm configure check looks for nasm

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Jan 24 15:27:27 EET 2024

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 08:21:28PM -0000, Helle Vaanzinn wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:35:44 +0100
> Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> >
> >just an observation, since others might trip over this as well:
> >
> >I have recently attempted to update and build MPlayer on a system where
> >it worked last November.  It did not work, i.e., configure reported
> >that it did not find yasm.  But yasm was available.  What was missing
> >was nasm.
> >
> >The output of ./configure --help does show the check looks for nasm,
> >but the error message only mentioned yasm:
> >
> >    $ ./configure
> >    [...]
> >    Checking for yasm ...
> >    Error: yasm not found, use --yasm='' if you really want to compile
> > without [...]
> >    $ which yasm
> >    /usr/bin/yasm
> >    $ ./configure --help | grep -i yasm
> >      --yasm=YASM            Yasm assembler to build MPlayer [nasm]
> >
> >Installing nasm solved the problem.
> >
> Using --yasm=yasm in configure also works.

It [seems][1] as if nasm is currently preferred over yasm.  It might
even be [necessary][2] to use nasm instead of yasm for some features.

[1]: https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2023-November/074128.html
[2]: https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2023-November/074124.html

Cheers,
Erik