[MPlayer-users] mplayer vs mpv

Michael Hawkins mhawkins.consultant at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 16:34:03 EET 2024

So I guess I need to think about changing my media server to use
alternative players. My system uses RaspberryPi's around the house that
all get audio from commands from the server via nc. Which works fine as
long as the audio source is a URL to an audio file on the media web
server.

Now I want them to play Internet stations and I don't seem to be able
to get mplayer to work.

A related question on stackoverflow is here. I updated with the mpv
solution.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22143855/mplayer-failing-to-play-on-line-pls-files-when-started-from-cron/77800761#77800761

But it would be really nice to continue to use mplayer. I just don't
know if it's something I am doing wrong or if it's a limitation of
mplayer.

This works fine:
mpv -playlist https://somafm.com/defcon130.pls

This does not: