[MPlayer-users] mplayer vs mpv

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Thu Jan 11 11:28:25 EET 2024

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 07:56:46PM -0500, Michael Hawkins wrote:
> [...]
> So an alternative is to use mpv instead.
> [...]
> Then I read that mpv is a replacement for mplayer. Now I am not sure
> about that. Can anyone shed light on the expected longevity of mplayer?
> Is it being deprecated? Is mpv an expected or even official
> replacement?

Well, mpv is a different project, as is, e.g., VLC.  I would suggest
that you use whichever media player works best for you.

For me personally, mpv cannot replace MPlayer, because I am watching
movie DVDs with MPlayer, but AFAIK mpv does not support DVD playback.
As such I do not view mpv as a possible "replacement" for MPlayer.

I personally prefer MPlayer, and sometimes use VLC.

Kind regards,
Erik