[MPlayer-users] mplayer doesn't work after mpg123 upgrade

stan gyvoy at q.com
Wed Sep 27 18:05:57 EEST 2023

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:39:41 -0700
"arthurpeabody" <arthurpeabody at rickstewart.com> wrote:

> After upgrading to mpg123-1.32.1 to when I run mplayer I get:
>
>  mplayer: symbol lookup error: mplayer: undefined symbol:
> mpg123_decode_frame_64 Parent process disappeared, exiting cache
> process.
>
> And keystrokes stop getting displayed to boot.
>
> There is a symbol mpg123_decode_frame64 (instead of
> mpg123_decode_frame_64) in the new libmpg123.so.0.

It sounds like you updated to a version of the mpg123 library with an
API change without a soname change.  So, either the version of mplayer
you are using has to be fixed and recompiled by the package maintainer
to incorporate the changes to the library interface, or you have to
downgrade the package to the earlier version.  I have mpg123-1.31.3,
and mplayer works fine with it.  mplayer is version 1.5.1.

Actually, the best solution would be to ask the mpg123 maintainer(s) to
revert the change to the symbol or change the so number to reflect the
reality that the api has changed.