[MPlayer-users] Help ripping old DVD showing errors

cooleyr at gmail.com cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 05:43:41 EEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023, 3:27 PM Jonathan Crowther <jmcrowther at msn.com> wrote:

> The resulting mpeg file is a pretty good rip of the DVD, but my players
> (VLC, and Windows Media Player) think the chapter that I ripped is only 18
> seconds long,

Likely just unusual timestamps in the VOB/MPEG-TS.  As mplayer isn't
altering the container at all, it can't fix anything with -dumpstream

The timestamps can be fixed with mencoder or ffmpeg told to copy the video
and audio and only remuxing the container.

If I run this command instead:

> "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPlayer\mencoder.exe" -dvd-device e: -o
> dvdout5.avi -oac copy -ovc x264 DVD://1
>
> The result is a playable AVI but it discards about half the frames, and
> leaves a low-quality video

You have to tell mencoder what bitrate to use for the video (or perhaps crf
with x264) to select the quality you want.

Assuming an NTSC DVD (North America) you also need: -ofps 24000/1001
And you may need pullup or pp=lb.