[MPlayer-users] Any plans to move to git or mercurial?

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 9 10:04:53 EEST 2020

Hi Vladimir!

On 2020-07-08 20:19 +0800, Vladimir Nikishkin wrote:
> Are there any plans to move to git/hg for managing mplayer source code?

I opened a discussion last year:
  http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2019-December/073812.html

IIRC no one was against moving to Git.

> Not that svn is particularly bad, but the new tools mostly target DVCS.

Right; as I said when opening the discussion last year, currently
Subversion on the server-side is good enough for our purposes.

> It would be also easier to have a mirror on
> github/gitlab/sourceforge/bitbucket.

There is a Git mirror on our server too:

  git://git.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer

Might help quite a bit.

> Additionally, code-review integrated into the Forges is quite nice.

I think it could be useful. This could be done independently of the
move to Git actually. As I think we wouldn't host the software to
provide the web interface for pull/merge requests, I could  setup a
mirror for e.g. Github.

There's a bit of a longish lists of things to do for the MPlayer
project, and that particular one isn't very high on my list.

This should not demotivate you or anyone from contributing. Current
way to do things, is to send patches to mplayer-dev-en mailing list.

I usually develop everything in git and then send the patches to
the ML. You could use git sent-email or use git format-patch and
send them otherwise. Even attaching patches to emails is usually fine.

Best regards,
  Alexander