[MPlayer-users] Opus Audio

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:20:47 EEST 2018

Thu, Oct 18, 2018, 11:59 stan <gyvoy at q.com> wrote:

Do you by chance have pulseaudio installed?  I think it has the ability
to reformat on the fly. It could use ffmpeg which has support for
opus, or soxr which also seems to have support. I don't think alsa does
without a special plugin.

pulseaudio --dump-resample-methods

This is simply ffmpeg; there should be no passing of the compressed audio
through Pulse unless bitstream mode is used (like for ac3 or DTS to an
external decoding receiver) and I've never heard of pulse using Opus except
in networked scenarios for bandwidth saving.

Ffmpeg for over 15 years has had better codec support 'out of the 'box''
than anything else industry wide.

I was surprised in 2002 when my Linux box could play any random AVI or MP4
I shoved at it without the required downloads of potentially tens of codecs
for the video and audio, some not available without looking on the shadier
side of the web in '02.

> And maybe the web page is out of date, and mplayer is using the
> support in ffmpeg directly.  :-)

I don't know if it's out of  date specifically, or if it's simply an
implied 'will check ffmpeg if no internal codecs are found lacking explicit
documentation.

Mplayer's been doing this 'try everything's mode of operation for anything
not directly compiled in, forever it would seem.

Mike