[MPlayer-users] Quoting and manipulating variables in mplayer slave mode

David Liontooth lionteeth at cogweb.net
Wed Apr 27 12:54:46 CEST 2011

On 04/25/2011 12:02 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>>> Of course there is, probably something like
>>> echo "osd_show_property_text \"\${filename}\" 1000 0"
>>> But that is exclusively a propert of your shell and has nothing
>>> at all to do with MPlayer, just look at the output of just
>>> running the "echo" without redirecting it to MPlayer.
>>> Either way this is rather the wrong place to ask since it
>>> doesn't really have much to to with MPlayer itself.echo "osd_show_text '${FIL//_/ }' 1000 0">   $FIFO
>> Reimar is missing the point here -- we're talking about retrieving a
>> property value from mplayer by passing a variable (and outputting to
>> OSD); I can't reproduce that in the shell.
> You can reproduce the "learning how to use shell quoting" tutorial
> without MPlayer.
> And by all I can tell your problem is that you have little of an
> idea about shell quoting and the MPlayer lists aren't the
> right place to learn about it.
>
>> Passing these commands to mplayer via fifo gives these results:
>>
>>      echo 'osd_show_property_text "${filename}" 1000 0'>  $FIFO
>>
>> Expands variable (property value is retrieved and displayed in OSD)
> $ echo 'osd_show_property_text "${filename}" 1000 0'
> osd_show_property_text "${filename}" 1000 0
>
>>    echo "osd_show_property_text "${filename}" 1000 0">  $FIFO
> $ echo "osd_show_property_text "${filename}" 1000 0"
> osd_show_property_text  1000 0
>
> Hardly MPlayer's fault it doesn't work, or what?
>
>>    echo "osd_show_property_text "${filename//_/ }" 1000 0">  $FIFO
> $ echo "osd_show_property_text "${filename//_/ }" 1000 0"
> osd_show_property_text  1000 0
>
> No idea what you were trying but you failed to make a difference
> even before anything reaches MPlayer.
>
>> Again, is there a way to manipulate these property values on the
>> fly? I'm feeling pretty confident the answer is no.
> You know, you could at least have tried the variant I suggested.
> Asking questions is rather pointless if you just ignore the answers given.

Just for the record, Reimar, you still haven't understood what I'm
trying to do, and you have not given a meaningful answer. I'm not
ignoring you suggestions, but they don't address the question.

I'll give it one more try: I want to retrive a variable (property value)
from mplayer and display it in OSD, using the osd_show_property_text
command, but format the content of the string before it reaches OSD. I
no longer think this is possible, but you continue to say it's trivial.
Give me an example in any shell. Even a failed example would demonstrate
you at least understand the question.

What you suggested initially and repeat is a possible answer:

   echo "osd_show_property_text \"\${filename}\" 1000 0"

is simply not a possible solution to what I'm asking, no matter whether
it works or not, since it does not format the variable (property value).
It clearly shows you still have not understood the question.

The feature I'm asking about would necessarily need to be built into
mplayer, in spite of your repeated insistence this cannot be the case.
It would be fun if you slowed down for once and actually tried to
understand what I'm asking. Don't tell me it's the wrong place to ask a
question you never understood.

Again, mplayer does not appear to support what I'm asking about, and I
don't particularly think it should; it's easy enough to work around. But
if it does, that would be cool.

Cheers,
Dave