[MPlayer-users] How can I force mplayer to drop frames more consistently?

Tony Alfrey tonyalfrey at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 03:36:30 CEST 2010

RC wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:03:10 +0200
> belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>> Off-Topic, if one doesn't need slow-motion and the human-eye needs .05
>> seconds to view a picture, what is the benefit of those very high(er)
>> framerates ?
>
> 0.05 seconds would be 20fps.  There's no question people percieve vastly
> higher frame rates than that.  Just set a large CRT monitor to 60Hz or
> so, and you'll almost certainly be massively annoyed by the flicker.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the issue with a 60 Hz
frame rate is that 60 Hz noise present in everything make the video
flicker at 60 Hz anyway, which is not visible.  But when beat against a
60 Hz frame rate, any small phase shift between the inherent 60 Hz noise
in the video and the 60 Hz frame rate subtracts down to flicker at a few
Hz, and that this is what one sees.  In other words, you don't see the
60 Hz (any more than you can see fluorescent lights going off and on at
60 Hz), you see the beat frequency between the not-exactly-60Hz flicker
and the also not-exactly-60Hz frame rate.

Standard high-quality film has a 24 fps rate.

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey at earthlink.net
"I'd Rather Be Sailing"